New ‘Your Patch of Earth’ Arts Award launched
The Investigate learning team is delighted to launch a brand new Arts Award offer for budding artists aged 5 to 25. Take inspiration from our ‘Your Patch of Earth’ project to earn yourself an Arts Award ‘Discover’ certificate.
Arts Award is a nationally recognised qualification from Trinity College London and ‘Discover’ is the first level. It’s a great way for families to be creative and learn about the arts at home, or a fabulous project for the classroom.
It enables young people to be rewarded for the creative activities they enjoy, or explore new ones, and supports them to connect with their local heritage and arts venues.
To get the award, you need to work through three simple steps and collect evidence as you go:
- Investigate someone who practises an art form – there are many art forms to choose from including sculpture, photography, music, dance, drama and film making!
- Create your own art – again, this can take any form
- Reflect on your experience and share it with others
We’ve got 9 mini ‘Your Patch of Earth’ projects to inspire your art activities. The way you collect and present your evidence is up to you.
You could make a mini portfolio, a poster, a short film, or use web apps like ‘Padlet’. You can download our easy to follow Arts Award Discover – Guide with helpful suggestions and a handy Arts Award Discover – Art Log to fill in too.
Discover at Home is a great option for parents, carers and teachers who may not be arts specialists themselves or are looking for something different to keep children engaged and entertained.
How to get your certificate
Our learning team staff are qualified to check your work and apply for your certificate. There is a small charge of £5 per young person, which covers the cost of the certificate from Trinity College London and postage to you.
Submitting your work by email is the best way:
- Set up an email to Investigatefirstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject heading write ‘Arts Award Discover: Your Patch of Earth’.
- In the email, you need to add: Your Full Name and Date of Birth, as well as the address that you would like your Certificate to be posted to.
- Attach images/videos/audio files of your Arts Award Discover work to the email. If any of your work is on paper or physical (eg. A handmade masterpiece, or if you’ve printed our Art Log) then take a photo and attach to your email. If you’d like to link us to anything you’ve uploaded online please make sure we have permission to access it.
- Get an adult to add in this bit to the email: “I confirm that my child/name has completed the ‘Arts Award Discover’ evidenced in this email.” And ask them to add their name.
Once you have submitted your Arts Award evidence, we will send you an email with instructions on how to pay the £5 fee.