We are excited to include a visit to Posterngate within our new Hidden Lindum Colonia project. The project will eventually showcase twelve sites of Roman Lincoln and form a digital and real tour of the city.
The Posterngate site was uncovered during excavations in the 1970s. It was a gateway that gave access to Roman Lincoln from the river. It is widely thought that the route was used by merchants and traders when Lincoln’s waterside was a bustling port.
For Summer 2022 we are excited to bring you our new guided tours of Posterngate:
- Guided tours will begin with a talk about the Hidden Lindum Colonia project and set the scene for Posterngate in the main gallery of The Collection Museum (10-15 minutes)
- We will then walk to Posterngate on Saltergate (5 minutes away) to enter the hidden gateway
- A talk at the Posterngate site (30 minutes)
- Guided tours will end at the Posterngate site
- The tours involve walking from the museum to the site across two roads.
- Posterngate is situated 5 metres below ground level and can only be reached down a stone staircase.
Tour dates for Summer 2022
On the following dates there will be a guided tour at 11am and at 2pm.
Places are limited to 20 visitors per tour.
Tickets are £4.10 and require pre booking online or at the Collection reception
- Thursday 28th July
- Wednesday 17th August
- Thursday 25th August
More dates will follow for Autumn/Winter.